Sprinklers save Roseville Yamaha from blaze

By: Josh Fernandez The Press Tribune
-A +A
The Roseville Fire Department responded to a structure fire Tuesday at Roseville Yamaha after witnesses reported visible smoke and flames in the building, fire officials said. The call came in at 5:21 p.m. after witnesses reported that the building’s sprinkler system had been activated. Three Roseville Fire Department engines, two trucks and two battalion chiefs were dispatched. When firefighters arrived they found smoke pouring from a service bay in the rear of the building. The sprinklers extinguished the fire and the damage was contained to the room of origin where employees were working on a WaveRunner personal water craft. Roseville Fire Marshal Dennis Matheson said he believes the fire started because some of the fuel from the WaveRunner reached an ignition source. The building sustained water damage due to the activation of the fire sprinkler system. “A sizeable explosion occurred that could be felt throughout the building,” Roseville Yamaha owner Sean Coplen said in an email. “The blast engulfed a portion of a customer’s watercraft as well as service department walls and equipment.” There were about 30 employees and customers in the building when the fire erupted, but nobody was injured. “Some damage was from fire, including a customer’s WaveRunner, shop tools and equipment and (the) dealership’s security system,” Coplen said. “Other damage was from water, including several personal computers, electronic diagnostic tools, alarm equipment and telephone systems.” However, in a press release, Battalion Chief Kathy Finney said they were lucky that the damage wasn’t more substantial. “In light of the fact that this fire involved flammable liquids there was a lot of potential that this could have been devastating,” Finney said. “The fire sprinklers did their job.” Coplen said the damage estimates haven’t been finalized and are currently under review by Roseville Yamaha and Federated Insurance. Roseville Yamaha staff and service crew worked late into the evening Tuesday and into the morning to clean up the damage so the service department could reopen Wednesday afternoon, Coplen said. Josh Fernandez can be reached at