The Sierra Marlins won the Sierra Nevada 14-and-under Junior Olympic Championship March 8-10.
Last year the Marlins placed third and had not won this meet in recent years. The Marlins also won long course Junior Olympics last July.
Swimmers had to qualify in order to compete in the meet at qualifier meets held throughout the fall and winter. The Sierra Marlins sent 93 swimmers to the meet, scoring 1,511 points over the course of the three-day trials and finals competition, outpacing rival teams Arden Hills (1,343) and California Capital Aquatics (1,013).
The Sierra Marlins dominated the points-rich relays, winning eight of 20 and twice dominated the competition by winning with the “A” relay and placing second with the “B” relay in the 13-14 girls age group.
The mini Marlin swimmers had a strong performance. Last year, the Minis scored only seven points and this year scored 144 points.
The top individual performance for the Marlins was led by 12-year old Nico Dolley. Dolley was a perfect seven-for-seven, winning all of his races, scoring 77 points and winning the meet high-point award for his age group.
High-point winners for the Sierra Marlins:
- Nico Dolley – 11-12 boys – 1st -- 77 points
- Bryce Mefford – 13-14 boys – 2nd -- 69 points
- Kyle Lehr - 9-10 boys – 3rd -- 59 points
- Halladay Kinsey – 11-12 girls – 2nd – 71 points
Event winners for the Sierra Marlins:
- Nicholas Dolley (11-12 boys), 200 free, 500 free, 1650 free, 100 back, 200 back, 200 individual medley (IM), 400 IM
- Halladay Kinsey (11-14 girls), 50 breast , 100 breast, 200 breast, 200 IM, 400 IM
- Bryce Mefford (13-14 boys), 200 free, 1000 free, 1650 free, 400 IM
- Chloe Miller (13-14 girls), 100 breast, 200 breast, 200 IM
- Kyle Lehr (9-10 boys), 50 back
- Alayna Gocke (13-14 girls) 200 free (unattached high school swimmer - trains with Sierra Marlins)
Sierra Marlin team records:
- 400 IM 4:37.43 (3:47.53 Joshua Choi 3/18/05)
- 400 IM 4:42.52 (4:47.59 Haley Anderson 10/22/04)
- 200 Breast 2:28.72 (2:29.92 Chloe Miller 10/9/2011)
- 50 Breast :32.25 (:32.32 H. Kinsey 11/18/12)
Sierra Nevada Junior Olympic meet records:
Nicholas Dolley 400 IM,
Halladay Kinsey 200 Breast, 100 Breast
Chloe Miller 100 Breast
13-14 Girls 400 Medley Relay (Dodson, Miller, Down, Lampe)
13-14 Boys 200 Medley Relay (Mefford, Reeve, Richard, Landry)
13-14 Boys 200 Free Relay (Landry, Kassianenko, Richard, Mefford)
The Marlins coaches are currently preparing swimmers for the prestigious Far Western Championship meet in Morgan Hill in April. Approximately 20 Marlins have qualified for this meet. After Far Westerns, the Marlins jump into the long course season with summer training and long course competition and long course Junior Olympics in July.