Several Roseville athletes qualify for Masters meet
Roseville High School hurdler Stephanie Blumm, Granite Bay runners Christine Zavesky and Brooke Holt and Oakmont’s 4x400 relay team scored victories Friday in the Sac-Joaquin Section Division II track and field finals at Bella Vista.
They led a large group of local qualifiers for the section Masters Championship on Thursday and Friday at Hughes Stadium.
In the girls competition:
* Zavesky was a double winner in the 1,600- and 800-meter races, with times of 5 minutes, 5.19 seconds and 2:18.13.
Oakmont freshman Marisa Carino (2:21.42) and Woodcreek’s Sami Gomez (2:22.29) finished fourth and seventh in the 800. Carino also finished fourth in the 1,600 in the second-fastest time in school history (5:13.12). Woodcreek’s Karina Nunes (5:11.61) finished third.
* Blumm won the 100-meter hurdles final in a time of 15.41 seconds. She also took second in the 300 hurdles (45.15). Woodcreek’s McCall Habermehl (48.04) took seventh in the 300.
“First time she’d won the 100 hurdle,” Roseville coach Lisa Blumm said. “She worked really hard in the 100 hurdles because she knew it would help in the 300 hurdles.”
Blumm recently won her fourth consecutive Sierra Foothill League 300 hurdles crown.
* Holt won the 3,200 in 10:51.38. Nunes came in third in 11:15.44.
“I don’t think I’ve ever seen her run like that,” Granite Bay coach Jackie Nasca said of Holt.
* The Oakmont 4x400 relay team of Tiyana Forsey, Carino, Katie Carte and standout senior Jazmin Harper won in a blistering time of 3:56.9, a margin of victory of more than four seconds and nearly three seconds quicker than their qualifying time.
* Harper placed second in the 200 with a time of 25.29 behind Nia Dorner (24.71) of Rosemont.
“The girl that beat her is probably the fastest girl in the entire section,” Oakmont coach Ryan Nugent said. “She looked really good.”
* Roseville’s Kellyn Morning (13.05) will get a shot at the next level after placing sixth in the 100.
* In the 400, Granite Bay senior Maddie Lummis came in sixth (59.35), Woodcreek freshman Ashley Kittle seventh (59.52) and Oakmont’s Katie Carte eighth (59.8).
* Oakmont sophomore Brie Shea tied for fourth in the high jump at 5 feet, 1 inch.
* Destiny Standifer of Woodcreek recorded a personal best in the triple jump and placed second at 34-10. Teammate Hannah Hardy took seventh at 33-8.
* The Roseville 4x100 relay team of Blumm, Morning, Kirsten Merlino and Marrisa Dumford placed second at 49.22.
Del Oro won the team title with 66 points. Granite Bay was second with 42 and Roseville third with 31. Oakmont was fourth and Woodcreek tied for sixth.
“Considering that was between five girls, that’s pretty miraculous,” Lisa Blumm said of her team’s third-place finish. “You can tell they are hard workers.”
In the boys competition:
* Christian Hatchett of Woodcreek won the 400 in a time of 48.86.
“That is two-hundredths of a second off of one of our oldest school records,” coach Bob Smith said.
* Oakmont’s Edixon Puglisi took third in the 800 in 1:58.29. Granite Bay’s Trent Brendel and Sean Woulfe were fifth and sixth in 1:59.01 and 1:59.37.
Brendel also qualified for the Masters meet in the 1,600, finishing sixth in 4:24.6.
“We had a huge great race at the 800. Trent Brendel did back to back with 1,600 and 800,” Nasca said. “They sprinted for their lives. He and Sean both got PR’s, both under two minutes.”
* Kevin Nielsen of Granite Bay took third in the 110 hurdles (15.04).
* Oakmont had two athletes qualify in the 300 hurdles. Junior Derrick Booth placed second (39.52), and Montana Weekes was eighth (41.0).
* Nielsen, Daniel Graham, William Valentine and Colin Brown came in seventh in the 4x400 relay for Granite Bay at 3:24.1.
* In the pole vault, Oakmont’s Lishen Lu placed second at 13-7. Woodcreek’s Dalton McBride also will move on after taking eighth at 13-1.
* John Park of Granite Bay was second in the triple jump (45-11½).
* In the shot put, Roseville’s Foster Tracey took second at 49-5. Oakmont sophomore Zach Sidhu was sixth in a personal-record 46-10½. Granite Bay’s James Kinloch was eighth at 46-1.
Granite Bay scored 48 points and finished second to Rocklin, which had 56 points. Oakmont was seventh with 27 points.