Roseville theater groups nab eight Elly Awards
Roseville's two theater companies took home their share of Youth Elly Awards, which recognize the high quality of their actors and productions.
Roseville Theatre Arts Academy earned five awards and Stand Out Talent nabbed three awards during a ceremony Sept. 16. More than 700 people attended the inaugural youth event, which was part of the 30th anniversary of the Elly Awards, according to a press release.
The award is named for Eleanor McClatchy, a devoted patron of the arts, and celebrates excellence in local and regional community theater throughout the greater Sacramento area. The Elly Awards are sponsored by the Sacramento Area Regional Theatre Alliance.
A total of 48 awards in the youth division were given to individuals and theaters from 10 counties. Forty-six theaters participated, submitting 94 productions and a total of 246 nominations for consideration.
~ Sena Christian
Local Elly Award recipients:
- Bobby Grainger, direction, "Once on this Island"
- Jennifer Vaughn, musical direction, "Children of Eden"
- Dakota Noxon, supporting actor-child, "Once on this Island"
- Kristina Dizon, supporting actress-child, "Children of Eden"
- Michelle Raskey and Dave Evans, set direction, "Rapunzel (of the Bayou)"
- Jason Bortz, leading actor-adult, "Anything Goes"
- Leigh Leonard, leading actress-child, "Godspell"
- Delaney Feener, leading actress-child, "Beauty and the Beast Jr."