Roseville murder suspect headed to trial
For a complete story on the Bonomo murder, click here.
For the second time, David Harrison Buzzetta was ordered to stand trial for the gruesome 2007 beating death of his stepfather, Paul Gregory Bonomo, at Bonomo’s Roseville home.
Superior Court Judge Mark S. Curry on Tuesday ruled enough evidence exists for the case against the 22-year-old Buzzetta to go to trial. He’ll be arraigned Friday on one count of murder with a special-circumstance allegation of lying in wait. Buzzetta also faces two counts of residential burglary.
In 2008, a judge ordered a jury trial but prosecutors later re-filed the criminal complaint, adding the special-circumstance allegation. That set off a new round of legal procedures, including the second preliminary hearing, which ended this week.
Prosecutors say Buzzetta left a family party with Bonomo, 43, the evening of March 18 2007, returning to Bonomo’s Granada Pass Drive home. That’s where they say he bludgeoned Bonomo with an aluminum baseball bat.
Investigators discovered Buzzetta’s fingerprints on the bat, according to court documents.
Prosecutors also characterize a statement made to his mother -- who was separated from Bonomo at the time -- as incriminating. In it, he said, “You know I just did it for you…,” according to a transcript of the conversation read in court last year.
Buzzetta’s public defender, Vicky Cody, has said prosecutors’ evidence fails to tie Buzzetta to the crime. Lab testing also failed to find evidence of blood on Buzzetta’s clothing following the murder, according to court records.
Buzzetta faces the possibility of life in prison. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty.