comments

Library’s centennial approaching

-A +A
The Roseville Historical Society is making plans for the Centennial Celebration of the original City of Roseville’s Public Library building. By 1906, when the railroad came to Roseville, there were limited choices for the many who worked the railroad to entertain themselves. The lack of something to do in their off time resulted in them visiting the many saloons that were built around the rail yards. The citizens of the town became concerned. A reading room was established on Pacific Street, but didn’t last too long. A Mrs. Brand decided she would have a “reading room” in her home using books that were donated by the citizens of the town. This became so popular that she could not accommodate all the visitors who became excited readers. The Women’s Improvement Club was organized in 1910 and with their help and Mrs. Brand, a petition was circulated to have a city library built. In 1911, Mrs. Cora Woodbridge, Mrs. R.F. Theil, Mr. Leroy Burns, Mr. Corlett and Mr. G.A. McPherson were appointed as the first Board of Library Trustees. A temporary library was opened in March of 1912, until the new Greek revival style library, which was designed by architect W.H. Weeks, designer of the Roseville High School main building, was completed. The new library opened on Oct. 2, 1912 and remained the library for the city until the new building was completed on Taylor Street in 1979. The Centennial Celebration committee meets on the first Thursday of each month at 4 p.m. at Carnegie and all who wish to participate in the planning of the celebration are invited to join. For more information, call the Carnegie Museum at (916) 773-3003. ~ Staff report