Ill mother needs new ID

?Ask George? Expert Answers to Common DMV Questions
By: George Valverde ? Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at Q: My mother has lost her California ID card which she had not renewed since around 1993. My mother has been very ill and has not been able to leave the house for some years. I now need to get her a current ID card; I have her social security number and card, her marriage certificate, her birth certificate from Mexico and her original ID card number. Can I get a duplicate card of the one she lost or do I have enough documents to get her a new one? A: If your mother's ID card expired in 1993, there would no longer be any record in the DMV Driver License/ID Card database. Your mother's application would be considered an original application. She has to complete an Identification Card application in person at one of the department's field offices. She would need to present a legal presence document (ex., Naturalization Papers) which contains her true full name and birth date, a Social Security Card, and if her name was different than the one shown on the legal presence document, a legal document for the change of name (Ex., a Certified Marriage Certificate). It is recommended that you make an appointment to submit the application. You may make an appointment on-line at Q: I heard about a law that requires drivers convicted of driving under the influence to install an ignition interlock device (IID). What is an ignition interlock device? A: An IID is a device slightly larger than a cell phone that is wired to a vehicle's ignition. The device requires a breath sample before the engine will start. If the IID detects alcohol on the driver's breath, the engine will not start. The car will start if alcohol is not detected. The IID also requires a periodic breath sample to ensure the continued absence of alcohol in the driver's system. IID's have proven effective in reducing drunk driving. The International Council on Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety maintains that IIDs, when combined with a comprehensive monitoring and service program, lead to a 40-95 percent reduction in the rate of repeat drunk driving offenses among offenders as long as the IID remains on the vehicle. Currently, only drivers in the pilot program counties, effective July 1, 2010, are required to install the IID in their vehicles. These counties are Los Angeles, Alameda, Sacramento, and Tulare. For more information on the IID visit Q: I currently live in Switzerland and in the process of buying a 1976 VW camper. The Swiss government needs the US title and registration card (first time registration in the US). Often this registration card is not available. How can I obtain such information? A: You may complete and submit an Information Request, Form INF 70, to obtain a vehicle ownership history. The form is available on the department's website, Just complete the form and submit it along with the appropriate fee to the address shown on the form. The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit