Granite Bay’s Lee wins third Division II medalist honor
SACRAMENTO — Granite Bay High School junior Paige Lee rolled to her third consecutive Sac-Joaquin Section Division II golf championship Monday.
While Lee dominated the field with a bogey-free 5-under-par 67 on the MacKenzie Course at Haggin Oaks, the final individual qualifier for next Monday’s Masters tournament in Stockton came down to a Roseville-Oakmont playoff.
Roseville sophomore Virgie Velazquez parred the par-5 17th hole to edge Nicki Holm of Oakmont for the berth. Each shot 79 and started the playoff with par 3s on No. 16.
Maddie Gedeon of Oakmont qualified for the Masters with a 75, along with Rocklin’s Camille Wagg (76).
Lee had 13 pars and five birdies. She’s had multiple bogey-free rounds this season and routinely has shot under par.
“That’s what she does. She’s just not afraid to go low,” Granite Bay coach Jason Sitterud said. “She putts really well and just does everything well.”
Lee recalled a key shot on the par-5 17th. She pushed her second shot into the rough and had a tree to clear.
“I either had to … go super high to clear the tree or shoot it under,” she said. “I chose to punch it out, and I got it within like 10, 15 feet and I made the birdie.”
Lee won’t play alone next Monday at The Reserve at Spanos Park. The Grizzlies finished third with a 437 total. Deedra Dollesin shot 91, Amber Ly 92, Chiyoh Arai 93 and Rachel Pae 94.
Christian Brothers, led by Roseville resident Clare Sorensen with a 75, shot a 402 for the championship. Nevada Union was second with a 434. Oakmont totaled 492 and McClatchy 521.
Sac-Joaquin Section Division II Golf Tournament
At Haggin Oaks (MacKenzie Course)
Team scores (top three qualify for section Masters tournament)
1. Christian Brothers (402): Clare Sorensen 75, Sadie Strain 76, Nichole Cruz 78, Emily Achondo 86, Lauren Dahl 87, Lauren Seitz 101.
2. Nevada Union (434): Emilie Arnoldi 83, Chelsea Love 84, Megan Arnett 86, Madeline Wagenecht 87, Sydney Zink 94, Sydni Smith 108.
3. Granite Bay (437): Paige Lee 67, Deedra Dollesin 91, Amber Ly 92, Chiyoh Arai 93, Rachel Pae 94, Elizabeth Porter 95.
4. Oakmont (492): Maddie Gedeon 75, Nicki Holm 79, Olivia Francis 106, Jordan Tawney 114, Brittany Baker 118, Kestley Dietrich 129.
5. McClatchy 521: Rachel Chin 86, Chloe Kashiwagi 90, Taylor Kobayashi 100, Kayla Arokaki 103, McKinley Caywood 142.
q-Camille Wagg, Rocklin, 76; q-Virgie Velazquez, Roseville, 79; Brianna Areia, Woodcreek, 80; Karlee Hormell, Del Campo, 84; Devyn Petersen, Rocklin, 85, Lexi Robinson, Woodcreek, 86; Paige Perkins, Del Campo, 90; Racheal Gross, Bella Vista, 94; Kaylin Jessell, Casa Roble, 94; Michelle Tassinari, Del Oro, 103; Sara Gulden, Casa Roble, 114; Daseul Song, Rosemont, 117; Kelsi Aurnig, Casa Roble, 126; Brianna Hubbard, Rosemont, 126; Alicia Mello, Rosemont, 128; Chiyoung Hong, Rosemont, 151; Raquel LaRae, Sacramento, 152.
q-Qualified for section Masters tournament.