Gas leak stops Christmas shopping at Roseville TargetBy: Scott Thomas Anderson, Staff Reporter
Last-minute gift shoppers at a Target in Roseville had to put their purchases on hold Sunday after the odor of gas prompted a full evacuation of the store.
The incident took place around 11:30 a.m. at the Target at Fairway Drive.
According to the Roseville Fire Department, Target managers realized a gas line had been broken and started ushering customers and employees out for their safety. The Roseville Fire Department dispatched two engines, a truck company and a battalion chief to the scene.
Entering the store, the firefighters found no signs of spreading gas or hazardous conditions. They proceeded to the 1-and-a-half inch broken gas line that was in the back storage area of the structure.
“After we confirmed there were no gas readings in the store and everyone was evacuated, we managed to isolate the gas to the affected heater by accessing a line from the rooftop,” said Roseville Fire Engineer Rex Tucker. “The battalion chief then allowed the employees to come back inside.”
Roseville firefighters eventually turned the secured scene over to Pacific Gas & Electric, who fixed the line.