Can you attend traffic school?

?Ask George? Expert answers to common DMV questions
By: George Valverde ? Director, California Department of Motor Vehicles
-A +A
Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at Q: How often may a driver attend traffic violator school in order to keep violations confidential (masked) and not part of the public record? A: It is important to understand that it is up to the court to allow you to attend a traffic violator school and that you will be responsible for the costs involved. Also, a driver who is referred by a court to traffic violator school may have only one violation masked in an 18-month period. Subsequent violations during the 18-month period will not be masked. For more information on traffic violations, please visit Q: My daughter and I own a car together and our names are shown on the title. Do we both sign the title when we sell it? A: It will depend on how the title is written. If your names are separated by the word ?or? then either of you may sign to release the title. If the names are separated by a slash (/) mark, both of you need to sign the title. For more information on vehicle titles, please visit Q: Is it permissible to make a U-turn when the center lane is marked on both sides by two yellow painted lines ? inner line broken, outer line solid? The California Drivers Manual states, ?You must use this lane to begin left turns or to start a permitted U-turn.? The word ?permitted? sounds vague and can be misunderstood (whether it is OK to do it or not). The markings are placed on many streets without signs saying U-turns are not permitted. A: U-turns are permitted under specific conditions listed in the California Vehicle Code. The following information taken from the California Driver Handbook should clarify it for you. You may make a U-turn: · Across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal. · In a residential district: -if no vehicle approaching you is closer than 200 feet; and whenever a traffic sign or signal protects you from approaching vehicles. · At an intersection on a green light or green arrow, unless a ?No U­-turn? sign is posted. · On a divided highway, only if an opening is provided in the center divider. Never make a U-turn: · On a divided highway by crossing a dividing section, curb, strip of land, or two sets of double yellow lines. · Where you cannot clearly see 200 feet in each direction because of a curve, hill, rain, fog, or other reason. · Where a ?No U-Turn? sign is posted. · When other vehicles may hit you. · On a one-way street. · In front of a fire station. Never use a fire station driveway to turn around. · In business districts. Areas with churches, apartments, multiple dwelling houses, clubs, and public buildings (except schools) are also considered to be business dis­tricts. Turn only at an intersection or where openings are provided for turns. For more information on traffic regulations, please visit The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Traci Stevens. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit