Gas leak in Roseville quickly containedBy: Brody Fernandez Of Gold Country Media
Early Monday morning on Nov.19, construction crews caused a major gas leak near 121 N. Sunrise Ave., according to Roseville Fire Department officials. Evacuations were ordered as special operations/hazmat units were dispatched from the Roseville Fire Department and several other agencies.
“This morning (Nov.19) at 9:47 a.m. Roseville Fire responded to calls that a construction crew working in the 100 block of Sunrise Avenue had hit a gas line,” said Roseville Fire Department spokeswoman Jaime Garrett said. “Upon arrival, fire department personnel determined that a two-inch gas line had been hit and gas was spewing into the air, making for a potentially dangerous situation.”
Garrett said that local agencies worked together to get the situation under control.
“Working in conjunction with Roseville Police, businesses within 500 feet of the leak were evacuated and others were asked to shelter in place,” Garrett said. “Sunrise Avenue was shut down between Douglas Boulevard and Sierra Gardens Drive. Roseville Fire personnel, in consultation with PG&E, worked to clamp the line and PG&E crews then worked to repair the broken line.”
As of 2 p.m. Monday Nov.19, the situation was under control and the area was safe, according to Garrett.
“At 11:05 a.m., crews began to repopulate the businesses that had been evacuated and lifted the shelter in place,” Garrett said. “Sunrise Avenue was reopened at 11:20 a.m.”
City of Roseville spokesman Brian Jacobson also weighed in on the incident.
Shortly after 11 a.m. Monday, Jacobson said, the situation was contained,
“The leak has been clamped,” Jacobson said. “People are now being allowed back in and the road is now open.”